We found this great homemade dog biscuit recipe, and you can just grab a cookie cutter and make any fun shape you’d like! You may need to plan a bit ahead however, as there are a couple ingredients that you may not regularly stock:
Makes about 5 dozen
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup wheat germ
1/4 cup brewer’s yeast
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 tablespoons canola oil
1/2 cup low-sodium canned chicken stock, plus more for brushing
Image courtesy of: wee3beasties
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, wheat germ, yeast, and salt; set aside
2. Place oil in a large bowl. Add stock and flour mixture in three alternating batches, beginning and ending with stock. Mix well.
3. On a lightly floured work surface, roll out dough to about 3/8-inch thick. Shape biscuits using a dog-bone-shaped cookie cutter or by cutting around a store-bought dog bone with a butter knife.(Make biscuits that are appropriate for your dog’s size.)
4. If desired, you can spell out your dog’s name or a holiday message in the dough with a toothpick (wet the toothpick first so it won’t stick).
5. Transfer to parchment-lined baking sheets. Repeat with remaining dough.
6. Bake biscuits 10 minutes. Brush with stock; rotate baking sheets, and bake 10 minutes more. Turn off oven, leaving door closed. Let dog biscuits stand in oven to dry completely, about 1 1/2 hours. Wrap as a gift, or store in an airtight container at room temperature.
If you have any other simple dog biscuit recipes you’d like to share, send us an email or leave a comment below. We’d love to hear your ideas!
Did you know that the number one sign of dental disease in dogs is actually bad breath? We’ve found a product that not only freshens bad breath, it actually helps reduce tarter, promote healthy gums, and boost your dogs immunity by removing harmful bacteria from the mouth! Did we mention it’s also all natural?!